Tuesday, April 8, 2008

The tale of Max's first lost tooth!

The night before the tragedy...What a happy little family, on our way to St. George for a little shopping at Costco and a nice dinner at Ruby River. Little did we know what would happen the next morning...
Here is the sad story; A few weeks ago, the day after Max got his cast off, he was playing by our elliptical and lost his balance (because his leg was so weak.) His face smashed into the machine, it skinned his gums, and bled all over the place. I couldn't see the damage until a few days later when I noticed that there was hole in his gum above his tooth. I could see the root of the tooth and everything. Then this morning , I gave Max this empty box to play with and he decided to try and jump over it. Somehow he managed to trip on it and hit his face on the corner of the box which caused his tooth to pop out. Again, there was blood everywhere.

Here is the sad little tooth.
Not the best pic, but here we are at the dentist after Max's tooth popped out this morning. I was a mess, crying hysterically before we left , so I opted out of a group pic. On the way to the dentist's office Mike tried to 'lighten the mood' by calling me a zit queen. I have a huge bump on my nose so he thought it would make me laugh if he called me Rudolph. Really funny... ha ha... I didn't have a chance to put makeup on before we left so that was just the thing I wanted to hear at that moment. Thanks babe! ;)
Long story short, Max won't have a tooth there until he's around 11 or 12 years old. The dentist said that it could cause damage to his permanent teeth if he tried to put it back in. I promise we don't abuse our child, although I know it's starting to look that way after all of our accidents lately. Having your own child get hurt is the worst thing in the world. I wish I could protect him from everything that could hurt him, but obviously I can't. I'm sure I'll laugh about this in the future, but as of today, I'm still traumatized!

8 comments:

Christy said...

Oh, Jess. I agree... nothing is like watching your baby hurt!!!oh!!! I hurt for you! I miss you zit queen:) Love it... you're the best

Andrea Gilberg said...

Jess, that sucks, he is still so cute even if he is missing a tooth for 12 years. love the post. dont you love when our husbands just think they are so funny at your own expense, i do, that is something daniel totally would have said.

Lindsey and Josh said...

Poor Max. He has about the same luck as his cousin Makenzie. He is so cute
tooth or no tooth! I feel your pain it is so hard to see your little ones in pain!

Michelle said...

Poor poor Max! At least it was his baby tooth and not his permanent tooth, right?

The Jones Fam said...

That is so sad! Poor guy! Which tooth was it? It is definately hard to see your child get hurt because they don't understand and you wish you could just make it better. I like how Mike tried to ease the situation by making a joke. Boys are so clueless!

Team Pettijohn said...

Poor Maximus...that story made me so sad. :-( I remember how bad I felt when all Hazel had was a fat lip, I don't know what I would of done if she had lost her tooth and broke her leg. I'm sure I would of been a mess like you. Don't worry, even with him missing a tooth I still want to set them up. lol.

Heidy said...

Jess don't feel to bad my 3 yr old hit her front teeth on the bath tum and they got really loose but finally tightened up but are now turning grey. I feel so bad. but it is hard to see them get hurt and even harder to not cry yourself. Any way max is so cute. Are you still in cedar? I'm still in Beaver but since there are no stores in Beaver we go to Cedar all the time we should get together I would love to see you.

Fords said...

What a sad story! I think it hurts mommys worse than the babies when they get hurt. He is still adorable though.